Thursday is trivia night, and we always have a tough time deciding whether we want to be lazy/not cook dinner and eat at the bar (typical unhealthy, fried bar food) or figure out something to eat at home before we go out (yay saving money!) Tonight we chose the latter – going with frozen chicken burritos from Costco…BUT I also really wanted queso, which we did not have. We did, however have 1/2 a Costco-sized bag of shredded Mexican-blend cheese (because of course we did,) sooooo I decided to attempt to make my own queso.
The entire process was so spur of the moment/speedy, that I only took Snapchat pictures before realizing how delicious/blog-worthy the queso would be!
It was seriously so easy.
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1.5 cups shredded cheese
salt, chili powder to taste
- Melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add in the flour, constantly whisking for 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in the milk, and whisk for about 6-7 minutes or until the liquid has thickened. You’ll know when it gets to that point, it gets surprisingly thick. Well, it was surprising to me.
- Whisk in the cheese! Keep whisking for 1 or 2 minutes, and then add your seasonings! We also added a dash of paprika and a dash of garlic salt.
- Eat it! It’ll probably be best warm/right off the stove, but I can’t imagine it would be too terrible re-heated either.
That’s it. It’s really that simple. Had I known I could have a big ol’ bowl of queso in under 10 minutes, I totally would have been making this sooner.
I love cheese.